Welcome to Backyard Beekeeper
Fruit trees, berries and many vegetables – like tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, melons, cucumbers, pumpkins, beans and peas – need bees for pollination. Since the arrival of varroa mite in New Zealand, we can no longer rely on wild hives to do this. With Backyard Bees, you can give nature a helping hand.
You put effort into growing your food crops. With poor pollination, much of that effort is wasted. A beehive in your backyard will boost your production, giving you more and bigger fruit and veges.
Added to this is your honey crop. From an urban hive, you can expect up to 15 kg of honey a year (depending on the season) which the Backyard Beekeeper will extract and return to you to use or give away.
And then there is the buzz you get from watching the bees going about their business in your backyard, pollinating your crops and making your honey.
Hire bees from the Backyard Beekeeper.
In Gisborne your Backyard Beekeeper will:
- Provide a two box hive with a laying queen
- Visit on a regular basis to check hive activity and bee health
- Treat varroa mite
- Inspect for disease, especially American Foul Brood (AFB)
- Provide honey boxes as necessary
- Extract and return your honey, up to 15kg per hive depending on the season
- Provide supplementary feed if necessary
- Ensure all statutory obligations are met and pay all levies